Saturday, August 9, 2008

School Daze




An apple for the teacher is clearly inadequate. What I really need is a life raft.

The desks have been scrubbed. There are 75 notebooks ready to be given to students, thanks to super “back to school” deals at Target. My classroom won’t be this clean and tidy again for at least 9 months. The trouble is, I’m nervous as hell. I can’t quite remember what to do when the students arrive.

This happens every year. I forget how to take the very first step. Should I smile and let on what a nice person I am? Or should I maintain a stern demeanor? They say “Don’t smile until after Christmas.” This is supposed to establish my alpha dog position. They also say that students learn more when they genuinely like the teacher, and therefore try to please her. It’s a coin toss, really. Either way, you’ve got only a dime.

No comments: