Friday, September 5, 2008

Bike Ride Home




One of the many things I love about my job in Watsonville is my bike ride home to Aptos. Car pool mate Anne picks me up in the morning and I toss my bike in the back of her car. After I've had enough of being a conscientious teacher-lady all day, I change into lycra and hop on my bike.

My route home runs primarily along Freedom Blvd. Within a few minutes I've left the burbs and am cruising in the country. I pass apple orchards and berries growing in perfect rows. I pass a small lake. I pass moo-cows and horsies. I watch the seasonal changes, colors, blossoms, harvesting, and am amazed at how lucky I am to be able to do this.
When I peddle into my own driveway I ring the silly bell on my bike handlebars. Suzzie dog knows the signal and meets me at the gate. Time for a shower and a glass of wine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jana: I just discovered you blog today. Your bike commute sounds like a wonderful transitioning time. I feel the same way about my commute. I teach in San Jose and live in Santa Cruz. I don't drive the mountain in heavy traffic so the time driving through it is a great transitional period, in either direction. The only peace in the day!