Sunday, November 15, 2009

Whale Watching

This afternoon, walking on the beach turned out to be quite unique.

Sure, you assume there are whales out there in the big, big sea. You assume that, now and again, they visit the Monterey Bay. Maybe a big blue wants to sniff the cotton candy smell from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Maybe a giant grey is curious about the Cold Water Classis surf competition at Steamer Lane. But you don't SEE them. You don't normally watch flippers and tails and big blow-hole spouts OVER AND OVER from the vantage point of the beach.

I decided to walk a long, long way this afternoon. Suzzie the dog seemed ammenable. Walking on down to Hidden Beach I was delighted to see from the bluff a super low tide, glassy, smooth water, and clear blue skies. We went about four times farther than usual. On the way back, I noticed a few of my fellow walkers had stopped and were staring out to sea. That's when I saw what they saw. Giant blow hole spout. Then a flipper. Then the tail. I glued my eyes to the area and was not disappointed. For the next 20 minutes she showed off again and again as she moseied on down, parallel to shore. Remarkable! The flippers, by the way are LONG and the curve so sleek and gentle. Then SMASH onto the surface of the water, producing a big showy splash.

Not bad for "just another day in the neighborhood."

No comments: