Monday, July 7, 2008

Camera! Action!





On Sunday I went to yet another interesting barrio in Buenos Aires – San Telmo. By the way, “barrio” just means neighborhood. It has no negative connotation in Buenos Aires.

My intention was to scope out the street fair (which I did), but what did I run into first? Hollywood. Again.

Small men in zoot suits were supposed to be speeding around town in a tiny yellow car. Picture Tom Hanks and what’s-her-name in that bitty car racing around Paris in the DaVinci Code movie.

Actually, the tiny yellow car was on a flatbed trailer being pulled by a special pickup truck with a "Grips" sign on its door. The lighting was impressive. It messes up photos taken by gawking bystanders like myself. Nevertheless, I got photos and waves and smiles from the crew. This was fairly early Sunday morning, which in Buenos Aires is noon. Nobody else was on the streets at all.

Hours later, I saw them again. This time the actors were all on scooters on the flatbed, and the whole scene was surrounded by 50 or more passersby, cameras in hand. The little yellow car was parked a block away. Glamour! Excitement!

This second location area was protected by motorcycle cops and surrounded by giant trucks, gear of all types, scads of worker bees looking serious, and even a catering table complete with espresso machine right on the sidewalk. Cool!

I could see now that the guys on the scooters really were small, as in midgets. I’ll swear one of the actors is the man in the movie about the old train station.

I made a special point to photograph the special effects truck. MC: Do you do business with these folks?

No comments: