Friday, June 27, 2008

Art y Zapatos en las Calles de BsAs






Wandering around the city of Buenos Aires is at the top of my TO DO list. It is absolutely necessay to keep my eyes peeled for caca de pero, but taking in the sites, sounds, and smells is more than satisfactory.

I see some interesting stuff painted on walls. There is not the quantity you might imagine for a city of 13,00,000 striving souls, but there is the ocassional offering. Here are a few that I fancy.

I have discovered the pleasures of Chinese food in Argentina. It tastes fresh and is full of veggies. I ordered a curry dish, wondering if it might be "picante" hot. Not at all. In fact, most food I've tried (Chinese or otherwise) is quite bland. Not what your typical norteamericana expects to find in Latin America.

This morning I had the pleasure of meeting my university teacher at a cafe for a private lesson (lexion privada). Why solo on a Friday morning? All of the other students in my class are enroute to Izuagu Falls for the weekend. I would rather experience that spactacular site in the company of my dear spouse, so I remain here.

Natalia and I muddled through a few irregular verbs, and then got down to some nitty gritt stuff - phrases I can use with the Spanish-speaking parents of my students. Example: Please ask your daughter to SHOW YOU her homework instead of simply asking, "Did you do your homework?" Not that any student of mine would LIE about completing their assignments - - -

Last night I visited the Evita museum. Curious - the Chanel store is on the same street. The exhibits include quite a few dresses, purses, and shoes. Placed discretely nearby are photos of Evita actually wearing the outfits. As you might guess, she was pretty, tiny, and smiled a great deal. Great clothes. Great shoes.

Speaking of shoes. Shoe stores appear on every street. The shoes are numerous, various, and SMALL. I ventured into one particulaly interesting shoe boutique across the street from Evita. Even the very largest shoe in the store was too small for my feet. Seriously. I asked, "do you have ANY shoes in larger sizes?" "Si! Por supuesto!" However, even the lovely grey boots were too small. This experience was not a complete waste of time, however. The lovely young sales woman spoke several languages, including English. She told me a bit about her life and traveles. Muy amiable. These little exhanges are what makes travel so worthwhile, don't you think?

No comments: