Saturday, June 21, 2008

Week in the Knees Weekend









It is the shortest day of the year down here. As opposed to up there. Norte Americano is a
pretty indomitable index of all things.

My adventures today involved several standard Buenos Aires tourist destinations. Just like Paris, there is a must-see cemetery here: Cemetario Recoleta. Can you spell E V I T A ? The Hard Rock Café Buenos Aires is just a heart beat away, as are all sorts of other treasures (in museums, of course).

I walk and walk and gawk and gawk. Just when I think, geez, where am I? a golden green park materializes. These plazas invariably include an inviting, gleaming park bench warming in the sun. I sit down, pull out the map, and reconnoiter.

The feria (street fair) in the Recoleta barrio is quite remarkable. Everything from top quality jewelry (we’re talking gold, silver, and gems) to silly magnetos for the fridge. What a delight! My purchase today was macramĂ©. That’s right, 1970’s knots. Ask me about it when you see me. I don’t know if I am gonna love this thing, or be embarrassed when the context changes to Santa Cruz County 2008.


Saw my first (perhaps THE first) Buenos Aires Starbucks today. The line was out the door and around the corner. I am not kidding. Pretty silly considering the number of clean, wonderful cafes on every block. We humonids are all about NEW experiences, no? Picture the scene in the Sex and the City movie where a hunky guy guards the door of a night club, protecting it from a long line of well dressed, well proportioned young darlings. The kids out in front of this giant, brand new Starbucks could have been the same "extras" from those scenes.

Photos for this post: the typical cup of coffee at a typical cafe; Recoleta Cemetary; art and viewer comments about the art from a cultural center; and whatever else I stick in here.

No comments: