Friday, June 20, 2008

It's the Weekend!


The first week of Spanish language class is over. The weekend stretches out before me like the red, purple, and yellow subway lines on the Buenos Aires map. I am a blue line expert now. These other colors are just waiting to be explored.


Okay, true confessions. I went off the wagon. After speaking and writing (poorly) in Spanish 90% of the time for the past six days, I went on a bender. I spent a solid two hours chatting nonstop in English with my neighbor. That's right. Jean lives in Aptos. We went to lunch, which is what women of a certain age do.

You know how it is when you're wandering the streets of a wildly unfamiliar city. Follow your instricts. We discovered a very chee-chee place that none of the younger students would be the least bit interested in. It had cloth napkins, wine goblets on the tables, and waiters in jackets and ties. I had the lunch special which includes wine, dessert, coffee, soup or salad, and a beautiful entre. I had the fish. Amazingly fresh and delicious. This was my most expensive meal so far - US$20.

No comments: