Monday, June 30, 2008

The Best Kind of Shopping









When I’m in the mood to buy, what could be better than a good museum store? Nothing. Nada. Not R.E.I. (Ed!), not the twice-yearly sale at Nordstroms, not even Filene’s Basement in NYC.

First I perused the special show, then the gems from the permanent collection. Finally, in a stupor, I entered the museum store. I imagine this is what an addict feels on a backsliding, just-do-it day. You know you’re gonna get some satisfaction.

I’m told this is the best art museum in Buenos Aires. It goes by an acronym: MALBA. It means Mueso de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires. The edifice is modern, airy, light, spacious and next to a plaza where those little sweatered doggies romp. I showed my student ID card from Universidad Belgrano and got a free ticket. Love it!

What a perfect surprise. The show right now is all about art and culture in Mexico during the time that I was reading The Feminine Mystique and getting 8-1997. Ah, Mexico! I am surrounded by the colors, the dark humor, and the psychedelic. The Age of Discrepancies: Art and Visual Culture in Mexico 196 language of Mexico where ever I go. Cosmic!

The Mexico show includes lots of graphic arts (Sacha, you would LOVE the comic books, illuminated books, and political posters). There are videos, serious paintings, installations, and crazy sculptures of found objects. You name it. All inspiring and wonderful.

As I descended to a lower level in the museum, I nearly hit the roof. A fabulous Frida Kahlo self portrait and a surrealist-style Diego Rivera. O mi dios!

I’ve been going to bed with Frida every night! I am currently on page 426 of a 440-page biography of Frida. Each night I eek out a few more pages. I look again and again at the photos and reproductions. I am not allowing myself to quite finish the book. It is just too dramatic, too engrossing. Besides, I recently saw many of her originals at SF MOMA. And, until today, it is the only English language book I have.

So back to shopping. In a word, it was a JOY.

No comments: