Thursday, June 19, 2008

English, Spanish, Both

I was savoring my time in the Zabala Cafe in Belgrano this afternoon. Belgrano is one of Buenos Aires's nicer residential neighborhoods. It is kind of like hanging out on the Upper East Side. This is where I am going to school every morning to learn Spanish. Class was over, and I was ready for refreshments.

Rainy days are so nice to watch from the vantage point of a cozy cafe table right by the window. Next to me, two young men were chatting over their large bottles of beer. While I looked up a word in my Spanish/English dictionary, I realized that the one with the fuzzy hair, the one with the loudest voice, had a very familiar accent - as in, like, sufer dude. He switched to English all of a sudden. He described how he "first smoked some pot, then had a cigarette, and then more pot. Wow. My lungs were all hazy." Chuckle, chuckle. Back to Spanish. Yup. The neighborhood is MUY INTERESANTE.

My big job tonight is to purchase another multi-trip subway pass and maybe some AA batteries for my flashlight. Too bad I forgot the really bright one Ed bought just for me just for this trip. What a nice guy! My darling apartment does not include a reading lamp next to the bed. It does included, however, plenty of hot water, a deep bath tub, a tiny kitchen, and solitude.

Homework this evening is to write a description of a famous person. I have to write in Spanish, of course. The other 7 students in my class will listen to my little speech, and try to figure out who I am talking about. Since these lovely women are in their late teens or early twenties, they may never have heard of Hillary Clinton. I presume I will not have a clue about who they write about. Can't wait to get back in class.

No comments: